Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Confessions of a Downsizing Genealogist


As a downsizing genealogist, I have to confess: I've decided there's no reason for me to have to keep every photo or artifact that once belonged to my ancestors. In fact, because I no longer have as much storage room as I once did, I've been actively giving things away for the past few years. Finding good homes for every item, I might add. Of course, before anything leaves my possession, I photograph it and document it for my files, a way to preserve my family's past for the future even after an artifact passes to someone else.

How to decide what to keep and what to part with? I sort items into three categories and consult with my family before making final decisions.
  • Category 1: Items of personal and family significance that should remain in my immediate family (me, my siblings, or our direct descendants)
  • Category 2: Items that should remain in the family, more generally (hand off to cousins if possible)
  • Category 3: Items that have no particular family history importance but have some significance outside the family (donate if possible)
In category 1, I put items like my parents' wedding album, their original mahogany bedroom set, and needlepoint done by my mother. These I'm keeping and bequeathing to the next generation, along with the stories of who, what, when, where, and why. In a future post, I'll talk about how to handle situations where there's one original but multiple heirs.

In category 2, I put items like photos from family gatherings--especially if I have duplicates. My first and second cousins now have original photos of their parents and photos of our families taken for special occasions, for example. And I have digital copies, annotated, of everything, for my research records. Whenever possible, I give away originals not in my direct line, so these will be inherited by the next generation.

In category 3, I put items like air-raid posters, bank ledgers from non-relatives, and the 30 years of Playbills shown in the picture at top (collected by going to Broadway or off-Broadway shows). The family isn't really attached to these, and they don't add to research about ancestors. Still, they are worthy of being saved somewhere for their historical or cultural meaning. So I asked a cousin in college whether her theater teacher might be interested, and the answer was yes!

With permission, I donated hundreds of Playbills to the university's theater library, knowing that they will serve as valuable source material when students research a play or an actor. As the teacher pointed out, seeing ads of the time and reading interviews with the stars provides important context for each play. My family and I felt good that these items are not only in a new home, but have a new purpose.

--
For more tips like this, please take a look at my 98-page genealogy book, Planning a Future for Your Family's Past, available from Amazon (paperback and Kindle versions). And if you already have my book, please would you take a moment and write a review on Amazon? Thank you so much!

6 comments:

  1. Lots of good tips. We cannot keep everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent suggestions! BTW- thank YOU for motivating ME to post every day during Family History Month!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading and commenting, Colleen and Deborah. I still have more artifacts to find new homes for, but now that I know how to approach institutions and what to expect, I'm in good shape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your plan. You're right, we can't keep everything, but items that may have a better home, or more appropriate home, elsewhere I've sent on their way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The trick is figuring out WHO would want this thing. Your playbills are at least a COLLECTION that implies value. How about a single random menu from a restaurant that no longer exists? You are making me think! There is no genealogical information, really, but it is an interesting artifact. I will ask the historical society if they want it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda and Wendy, many thanks for commenting. Wendy, I imagine the local historical society might be interested in a random menu from a long-gone restaurant. Or maybe the town historian? Good luck finding a new home for it.

    ReplyDelete