Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Tombstone Tuesday: Ida Farkas and Herman Weiss

Ida Farkas, a cousin of my Grandma Minnie Farkas, was born in Botpalad, Hungary (where many Farkas ancestors were from).

She married Herman Weiss and, with four children, they came to New York just after the turn of the 20th century. Soon they had two more children together. Herman worked as a presser in the garment district.

Unfortunately, Ida died of pneumonia in 1924, at the age of 52; Herman lived another 19 years.

Ida's stone shows a candelabra, which is often included on a Jewish woman's headstone. Herman's stone shows a pitcher, which is associated with the Levi tribe. More on Jewish symbols and reading headstones here

Both are buried in Montefiore Cemetery ("Old Montefiore") in Queens, NY. Thinking of these cousins on Tombstone Tuesday.


6 comments:

  1. I love these old Jewish gravestones. Have you had the Hebrew translated? I'm working on providing translations of Hebrew at the Find-A-Grave memorials that I manage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, they are elegant. Translations of these amount to names and "son of"/"daughter of" info. Thanks for the reminder--I should include the translations here AND on FAG. So glad you stopped by and left me a note!

      Delete
  2. I was intrigued by the symbolism of the candles on Ida's tombstone. I had to do a little googling. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just updated this post to mention the symbolism and include a link to more info. Thank you for the idea! And thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  3. I have Farkas ancestors from Hungary. They married into my Gartner family. Most were killed in the Holocaust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Colleen, Sadly, I also know that some Farkas cousins were killed in the Holocaust. Farkas was such a common name in Hungary...there's a small possibility, but I wonder whether our Farkas folks were related at all?

      Delete