Many thanks to Jenny Lanctot at Are My Roots Showing? for honoring me with the "Liebster Blog Award." She explains that Liebster means "dearest" in German, so I'm getting a bit of a language lesson along the way!
The intent, as I understand it, is to introduce "undiscovered" bloggers to the wider blogosphere. Here are the rules:
- The recipient answers 11 questions chosen by the person who made the nomination.
- The recipient selects up to 5 bloggers (who have fewer than 200 readers) to receive the next round of nominations.
- The recipient writes 11 questions for his or her nominees and sends them to the recipients when notifying them of the award.
1. What is your favorite time of day and why?
Early morning, because it's a great time for thinking and even blogging before the phone starts to ring and e-mails pile up.
2. How and when did you first discover your passion, whatever that passion is?
Nearly 20 years ago, I was sorting through old family photos and realized there were no photos or documents about my paternal grandpa Isaac Birk. He died years before I was born and I knew nothing, literally nothing, about him. It took years for me to find out something as basic as where and when he died, and then I was hooked!
3. Hopefully, you’re familiar with The Breakfast Club for this question. When you were in high school, in which social group did you best fit?
Well, I lacked the angora sweater of "in-crowd" girls and had not one athletic bone in my body, so "jocks" weren't my crowd either. My friends and I were on the literary magazine, does that help explain? :)
4. Where do you write your posts and why did you choose that place?
At my desk, where the sun shines in from the east and I can see all the critters outside my window (colorful birds, scampering chipmunks, hovering hawks and more).
5. What always makes you laugh and why?
Good-hearted humor, not mean-spirited stuff or slapstick.
6. If you could appear on a televised talent show, what would your talent be?
"Who Do You Think You Are?" is the only TV show I'd love to be on (too late now, I know) and my talent would be oohing and ahing as the producers take me to the villages where my ancestors grew up.
7. Which flower reminds you of happiness?
Almost any flower. Right now, the purple blooms on my African violets, which look very vivid and vivacious.
8. What is your favorite book and why?
My favorite genres are mystery and sci-fi. Stuck on a desert isle with no library, I'd read and reread Isaac Asimov's Foundation trilogy.
9. It’s important to eat your vegetables, but which vegetable do you always resist/avoid eating?
Lima beans. Ugh. Brussels sprouts a close second.
10. What is your favorite thing to do on a rainy day?
Rainy days are great for sewing or, in a genealogy mood, flipping through a surname file for some undiscovered nugget. All while a crockpot of hot soup or stew simmers in the kitchen!
11. Who is the one celebrity, past or present, you would like to meet — and what would you ask that person?
I'm from the Bronx. We don't usually get in the face of celebrities.
I'll add my 5 nominees later. Thanks again to Jenny for this fun award!