Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Wordless Wednesday (almost): Identifying the Twins

Most of the time, my mother (Daisy Schwartz Burk) didn't bother to mark photos to identify which of her twin daughters was which, since she could tell us apart. Luckily there are a few photos where we're identified.

Here, I'm on the left and my sis is on the right. We're sitting on the uncomfortable empire-style couch in the Bronx apartment of our Grandma, Daisy's mother, Hermina Farkas Schwartz.

Grandma had long hair rolled into a bun, pinned at the back of her neck. I believe she crocheted the antimaccassar shown here. (Don't see those any more, huh?!)

3 comments:

  1. Great picture!
    My grandmother was a twin, and it was very seldom that either of them were indicated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it's the view but I can see how your mom could tell you apart. How cute you both were! The antimacassar? That's what first caught my eye. It's amazing! I hope it stayed in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting, Lyn and Nancy! This is one of the few photos where my sis and I are dressed identically. My mom was a twin and she wanted her twins to have separate wardrobes and identities. And the antimaccassar--sorry to say, it hasn't been found BUT I do have a number of Grandma's circular pineapple versions, which I'll photo and post sometime.

    ReplyDelete