Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thankful Thursday: Mr & Mrs Harold Burk, 11/24/46

On this day in 1946, my parents, Harold Burk and Daisy Schwartz, were married at the Hotel McAlpin in New York City.

Here they are with Ida Mahler, one of his Mahler aunts, during the summer before they were married.

Although they became engaged on Dec. 31, 1945, after my father closed the deal to become the in-house travel agent of the posh Savoy Plaza Hotel, they soon set their wedding date for November, 1946.

Why wait, especially since they were very anxious to settle down? First, because of the severe shortage of apartments following WWII and second, I suspect, to save up money. In fact, who exactly paid for their wedding is a mystery I hope to solve one day.

On Thanksgiving, I give thanks for their love and for the family ties I've been discovering through genealogy (dear cousins, you know who you are!).

3 comments:

  1. The McAlpin Hotel was built by a second great uncle of mine, Edwin Augustus McAlpin. You can see an obituary of my second great grandfather, David Hunter McAlpin at From Maine to Kentucky. By 1946, the hotel was no longer in the McAlpin family.

    Happy Anniversary to your parents :-) and I hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that a Mayflower McAlpin was responsible for this hotel, which was pretty swanky in its time. Thanks for letting me know! And happy T-day weekend to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Note that Edwin A. McAlpin was a Mayflower McAlpin through his mother, Frances Adelaide Rose, not through his father, David Hunter McAlpin.

    ReplyDelete